RS485 Serial DMX / Renard Adapter Assembly Instructions
Instructions for the newest Serial Adapter Board only. For other PCBs see RF1 Serial Adapter Rev 0.2 Assembly Instructions
- 1 Serial Expansion PCB Version 0.7
- 1 MAX485 IC or ST485BN IC (8-pin RS485 transceiver)
- 1 8-pin DIP socket
- 1 2x10 2.54 pitch male pin header
- 4 Shunt jumpers
- 1 100nF Ceramic Disc Capacitor
- 1 470uF Aluminum Electrolytic capacitor (optional)
- 1 1/4w 120 Ohm Resistor
- 1 1/4w 10k Ohm Resistor
- 3 1/4w 1K Resistors
- 1 3mm yellow LED
- 1 3mm green LED
- 1 3mm red LED
- 1 RJ45 PCB mount (8p8c) (top or side entry) (optional)
- 1 1x2 right-angle 2.54 pitch pin header
- 1 1x2 straight 2.54 pitch pin header
- 1 1x15 right angle 2.54 pitch pin header (male or female)
Install the 10k ohm pull-up
Install the 120k ohm
Install the 1k resistors — these are for the LEDs and are not needed if no LEDs are
Install the DIP socket for the RS485 chip and then the LEDs; the LEDs
Install the 100nf
Install the 15-pin male right angle header and optionally, if you are connecting to a
Install the 2x10 pin header if you are going to power the board over serial (Cat5 Pin 3 can power the RF1 7.5-12v). If not, you don't need to install the 2-pin male header shown here.
Install the big polarized capacitor (note the
Install the RJ45 connector.
You need to put jumpers on the pins as indicated for your serial type. Renard, DMX and LOR are supported If you are going to provide power over the Cat5 cable, you can supply 7.5-12v on RJ45 pin 3 and add an extra jumper on the VIN Enable header.
Photo shows shunts in DMX mode.
If you are setting a start address in the RF1 sketch then you should set your controller to start at address 1 (LOR, DLA and probably all other DMX controllers.) or 0 (Renard Addressable, or don't use start address firmware.)